Getting in Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki’s international airport Macedonia (SKG), lies 14 km south of the city center. It is connected directly to many national and international destinations.
Thessaloniki is connected via the intercity KTEL bus network with every corner of Greece.
- Central Intercity KTEL Bus Terminal Makedonia, Giannitson st 194 (In the westside of the city), ☎ +30 2310 595408
- OSE Travel Service (Thessaloniki OSE travel service No. 4), 18 Aristotelous Str., ☎ +30 2310 598120. Information regarding the time-tables of foreign buses is available from OSE/HTO: +30 210 5298739, 30 210 5298740, +30 210 5135768, +30 210 5135769
The Greek Railway Company is called Trainose (ΤΡΑΙΝΟΣΕ)
- Trainose, Monastiriou St 28, City Centre, ☎ Infoline telephone number: 1110
- TRAINOSE travel service (Thessaloniki TRAINOSE travel service No. 4), 18 Aristotelous Str., ☎ +30 2310 598120. Recorded information about train departures are provided by Trainose, call 1440 for domestic departures from Thessaloniki.
There are normally employees at all major stations to facilitate transportation of disabled persons.
Connection to the City Centre
The city’s bus company is called “OASTH“ and runs a total of 80 different bus lines. You can buy tickets at a kiosk (periptero), at an OASTH info point or inside the bus.
There are three types of tickets:
- One journey ticket: Costs €0.80. Valid for one only journey in any busline.
- Two journeys ticket: Costs €1.00. Valid for two journeys within 90 min.
- 24 hr ticket: Costs €4. Valid for unlimited journeys in any busline
Tickets bought inside the bus cost €0.10 plus. 24 hr ticket is sold only at “OASTH info points”.
They must be validated every time you get on the bus, except for the 24 hr ticket, which is validated once and runs a full 24 hr, so you could explore the city in the afternoon, get out in the evening, and get to the airport next morning all on the same ticket.
Bus number 50 (Cultrural line) follows a figure-of-8 route past all the major tourist sights. There is an English speaking guide aboard, who provides you with maps and information. The whole route takes 50 min, and it departs every hour on the hour from the White Tower. Ticket costs: €2
For more information visit the .
Getting to Grand Hotel Palace
- The Central Intercity KTEL Bus Terminal “Makedonia” lies in the westside at Giannitson st 194.
- The train station is downtown Monastiriou st 28, 2,2 km away.
- The airport is 16 km to the south.
Bus number 78 is a 24×7 service which shuttles via the city centre. Frequency is between 15 min and 30 min during the day. At night, the bus number changes to 78N and runs every 30 min (00 and 30 minutes past the hour from KTEL Bus Terminal, 20 and 50 min past the hour from the Airport). It’s about a 50 min ride from the airport to the hotel.
A taxi ride costs about €20-25.
Please note that for guests who choose to drive to the Grand Hotel Palace, free outdoor parking is available.
View larger map